VEGAN BROWNIE CAKES WITH ACAI FROSTING
Serves 12 Brownie Cakes
Recipe type: dessert, snack
- Brownie Cakes
- 1¼ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp unrefined coconut oil
- 3 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 flax eggs
- 1¼ cups boiling water
- Acai Frosting
- 414 ml coconut cream or full fat coconut milk
- ¼ - ¾ cup (28 - 84g) icing/powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp acai powder
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, cacao powder, sea salt, and baking powder; set aside. In a double boiler over medium heat, melt the coconut oil and chocolate, then stir in the sugar and vanilla extract. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the chocolate mixture, flax eggs, and boiling water; whisk vigorously to combine.
- Add a heaping ¼ cup of batter to each muffin liner, then bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow cakes to rest in pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Cakes will keep in an air tight container for up to three days.
- Frosting Instructions
- Chill your coconut cream or coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight, being sure not to shake or tip the can to encourage separation of the cream and liquid.
- The next day, chill a large mixing bowl 10 minutes before whipping.
- Remove the coconut cream or milk from the fridge without tipping or shaking and remove the lid. Scrape out the top, thickened cream and leave the liquid behind (reserve for use in smoothies).
- Beat for 30 seconds with a mixer until creamy. Then add powdered sugar and acai powder, and mix until creamy and smooth - about 1 minute. Taste and adjust sweetness as needed.
- Use immediately or refrigerate - it will harden and set in the fridge the longer it's chilled. Will keep for up to 1 - 2 weeks!